Sunday, August 17, 2008

Now That's Service!

I'm a middle aged man.  I have no children.  I own an xbox 360.  It's mine, I play with it and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  Call me Peter Pan, but I love it.   So, when my xbox displayed the infamous Red Ring of Death, I was both saddened and dismayed.  Now, if you don't know what the Red Rings of Death are, it basically the xbox's way of telling you that you're screwed.  You're baby is dead and there is nothing YOU can do to bring it back to life.  The situation is caused by an over-heating of the motherboard and is not something new... it was just new to me.  

So, when I called Microsoft customer service, I already knew that they had extended their warranties for three years to cover this phenomenon.  What I didn't know, was how they were handling the complaints.  The answer surprised me... they are handling them really well.  In one call, I had a case number and return packaging on their way to me.  Within a few days I had sent my xbox back to the mothership and forgot about it.  So, when i recieved a package the following week, I was truly at a loss as to who it was from.  But, low and behold the label read Microsoft.  "No way", I thought, but it was true, the prodigal gaming console was back.  I unwrapped it and was marveling at the speed with which they had repaired it, when I noticed something odd.  Was it possible that they had repaired all of the nicks and scratches too?!?  Nope.  It was a brand NEW unit!  So, rather than inconvenience me with a greater wait, they just shipped me a new one from their stock.  Did they have to do that?  No.  But the fact that they did speaks volumes about their commitment to customer satisfaction.

We've all spent too much time on hold listening to muzak before we speak to someone in a call center on the other side of the globe.  We've all been disappointed by the resolutions we were offered to our complaints.  So, when we come across a company that goes that extra mile to make us feel whole, we shout their praises from the rooftops... although I'm still not a fan of Windows.

No comments: